In order to comply with the open meetings requirements of The Communications Act of 1934, 47 U.S.C. 396, et seq., as amended, and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (“CPB”), the Board of Directors of Chicago Public Media (“CPM”) has adopted the following policy.
- Applicability. This policy shall apply to all meetings of the Board of Directors and Community Advisory Council (“Council”) and their committees.
- Open Meetings. All meetings of the Board of Directors and Council and their committees shall be open meetings preceded by reasonable notice to the public at least one week in advance, except in the event of an emergency. In the event that the bylaws of the Board of Directors or Council permit such meeting held telephonically or other alternative format, the public shall be mean an ability to listen or observe.
- Reasonable Notice. CPM shall post a notice on its website of any applicable meetings and make on-air announcements on at least three consecutive days once each calendar quarter explaining this policy and providing information about how the public can obtain information regarding specific dates, times and locations.
- Closed Sessions. CPM may hold closed meetings or portions of meetings to consider matters relating to individual employees, proprietary information, litigation and other matters requiring confidential advice of counsel, commercial or financial information obtained from a person on a privileged or confidential basis, or the purchase of property or services whenever premature exposure of such purchase would compromise the business interests of such organization. If a session is closed to the public for any of these permissible reasons, a written statement containing an explanation of the reasons for closing the meeting will be made publicly available (within a reasonable period of time) in the same manner as notice of an open meeting.
- Public Attendance. No member of the public shall be required to register such person’s name or provide other information as a condition to attendance. 6. Interpretation. If a question arises as to applicability or interpretation of this policy, the question shall be sent to the president of CPM and the Chair of the Governance Committee. If this policy at any time is inconsistent with the requirements and regulations of the CPB, it shall be interpreted to comply with such requirements.
This policy is subject to change at any time by the Board of Directors.